What would happen if every blog published posts discussing the same issue, on the same day? One issue. One day. Thousands of voices.
I registered this site, ahelms.com, and committed to post something related to the environment today even though I had no clue what to write about. Environmental issues are very complex and to be honest, none are near or dear to my heart. Even so I try to be a good steward of this earth and benefit my own quality of life. I think that making environmental issues a part of the collective consciences is a big part of the battle.
So I will share the very few energy-saving guidelines I follow simply in hope that you will consider what you do to care for the environment.
- I recycle. For $30, Dekalb County picks up recycled paper and plastic once a week.
- I use commuting alternatives like public transportation and carpooling.
- I work from home three of four days every week.
- My thermostat is set to 78 in the summer (which is so hot) and 68 in the winter.
- I don’t water my garden when there are water restrictions.
- I don’t shower frequently.
Kidding. Seriously, for every five conscientious measures I take there are probably 10 things I should improve on. As I learn, I’ll adjust.